PPM joins forces to develop remote radio head technology for countering IEDs
The development of improved technology to defeat RF triggered Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) is vital in combating deadly threats from insurgents and state actors. With this goal, PPM Systems is working in partnership with Allen Vanguard to develop novel Remote Radio Head (RRH) technology in support of the next generation of Counter IED (CIED) capability.
This collaborative work aims to develop an RRH demonstrator to de-risk several key technological areas in the Land based Cyber Electromagnetic environment following the recently secured MOD funding from a Defence and Security Accelerator (DASA) innovation call to develop novel technologies and techniques.
Plextek Services join PPM Systems in partnering with Allen Vanguard, with Plextek using artificial intelligence generative design to minimise the thermal impact of RRHs, whilst PPM Systems uses its leading-edge expertise in RF over Fibre (RFoF) technology to:
· eliminate cable losses between power amplifier and antenna
· produce unparalleled bandwidth and isolation performance
· provide dynamic configurability using Optical Wavelength Division Multiplexing based switching
· ensure alignment with Land CEMA Architecture (LCA) and the associated Radio Head (RHD) module specification in the MORA open standard
· to ensure low latency, equivalent to coaxial connectivity.
Commenting on the project, Neil Seager of PPM Systems said: “We are delighted to be working with Allen Vanguard to advance the development of LCA aligned optical radio heads, showing our commitment to collaborating to deliver the best product to our customer.”